Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Oconomowoc German Christmas Market

Hello everyone! Did you have a good Thanksgiving? I sure did. Mike and I spent most of our thanksgiving week participating in Wisconsin's gun deer season. We did alright, and now have a little more meat in our freezer.  Waking up early just to sit in the cold wind was a little rough for me but getting some exersize ( a.k.a burning off all the extra slices of Thanksgiving pie) and spending time with my husband made was worth it.
Saturday night, I took a break from hunting to visit the German Christmas Market In Oconomowoc with my sister, Rachelle. The annual, open air market has joyous atmosphere and an European feel. Upon arrival we were immediately greeted by the sweet scent of roasting nuts and the sound of cheerful Hoffbrauhaus polkas. Strands of twinkling white lights intertwined the rows of local food and craft vendors.
The first things to catch our eye were the adorable baby lederhosen and dirndls made by Ada's Accessories. My mini me is, sadly, already too big to wear most of the cute outfits she was selling but they would be awesome Christmas gifts for your own little ones. The festive clothes can be found at https://www.etsy.com/shop/adasaccessories4me .
The second item to grab our attention was a sparkly knit winter headband. I can't my recall the shop name but similar ones can be found on etsy. Rachelle bought a dark blue one for herself and a pink one for me (Sorry the photo is blurry, the market was very busy and we didn't want to pause long to take a picture).
Our third stop was to buy some Gluhwein (German mulled red wine). It was a cold night so we both took a moment to warm up and sip our wine out of styrofoam cups next to the bon fire. Confession: I actually preferred my wine more after it had cooled. Maybe hot wine is an acquired taste, or maybe I'm just not a wine lover to begin with. What I do love, however, is good German food. So our next destination was the food vendors. I was excited to see they were selling a couple varieties of schnitzel but was disappointed that they were actually sold out of them all. We split a giant pretzel and obatzer cheese dip instead. The obatzer was wonderful. It was slightly garlicky and thick. The regular processed pretzel "cheese" doesn't compare at all.
The German Christmas Market is officially going to be an annual destination for us. We could easily find gifts for everyone there. There was no shortage of beer, food, sweets, and even dog treats. My favorites, besides what I already mentioned, were some soft alpaca gloves, and dilly lemongrass goat's milk soap from Swiss Frau Farms. Rachelle is obsessed with their lavender hand balm as well. The alpaca gloves were a little too pricey for me to buy at the time but all the Swiss Frau products were more reasonable. They can be found at Swissfraufarmproductsllc.com.
If you went to the market, I'd love to hear about it. Otherwise, be sure to make time on your calander to visit the Christmas market next holiday season!




No comments:

Post a Comment