Wednesday, May 13, 2015

No Regrets Diet

I've been working less for the past two weeks and have the day off today. It's the first time since before I was pregnant that I've gotten a consistent eight hours of sleep for two weeks. I've been enjoying having more free time by getting up earlier, organizing the house and taking more walks with Layla.
When I had Layla I was my body would bounce back quickly, within six months,  especially since I was breastfeeding. I pushed myself and excersized too soon, which only made the painful healing process worse. On top of being too active, I tried to watch what I ate. Somthing I believe to be one of the reasons breastfeeding failed for me by six months. I'm pretty hard on myself and, needless to say, my body didn't bounce back like I had planned.
Mostly I blamed it on my job, and sure that was part of it. A hectic schedule and eating too much cheese (remember I worked at a cheese factory) are enough to prevent anyone from becoming fit.  Naturally I was confident that after the holidays, when I stopped working at the cheese factory, the weight would melt off. Maybe I did lose a pound or two, but it wasn't quick enough. So in January I cut my calories down to 1750 a day.  But the results weren't been what I had hoped for either.
Theoretically 1750 calories and daily cardio should have been effective. But it wasn't.  Why? Probably because I was literally starving. I would eat "good" all week than eat three times as much on the weekends. For example, I would eat my dinner, plus half of Mike's and dessert. I won't call it binging because it wasnt "bad" it was just a normal reaction to not eating enough. I wasnt gaining any noticable muscle and barely lost weight. All I was, was "skinny fat". Then one day, a few weeks ago, May second to be exact.  A switch just flipped for me. I decided to no longer worry about what I eat. I mean I still try to balance the healthy and non healthy but I no longer have anxiety about if I eat somthing or regret afterwards. Its only been a week so it's kind of soon to tell results but I've noticed I've eaten less calories, haven't overeaten at all, and consume less fat in general. Yes I still keep track but calorie counting always has been more of a guideline than a rule for me. I listen to my body more. Maybe it needs to eat a little extra fat sometimes. I am an ice cream addict after all. Do I want a glass of chocolate milk occasionally with my lunch? Sure! And the pre-period chocolate cravings? Probably a sign I need more iron and chocolate is a delicious way to get it.
So what does the scale say?
I really don't know, I dont own one. It prevents me from obsessing over a number. Hopefully Layla will grow up and not feel like she has to obsess either. The example starts with me. I do weigh myself occasionally, but mostly im focusing on other goals.  Like how my clothes fit and building upper body strength so I can do a handstand. Mentally I feel better because I have one less thing to worry about.  I stress less about food, and get more rest as a result.
And no, Im not worried about going overboard.  In fact, I think about food, especially junk food, alot less because its no longer "forbidden".  When I decided to eat without regret suddenly I could stop after one and not eat three. One cookie is enough. Two is good. Three is just too much for my belly. Or maybe I don't really want any cookies at all.
Now I'm not trying to set myself up as a fitness idol here, I'm just sharing my truth. Layla is nearly a year and a half old and most of my pre - pregnancy jeans still don't fit. I've only been following my #Noregretsdiet for two weeks but  I'm happier with myself than I have been for probably like two years. I'll keep you updated with my long term results.

No comments:

Post a Comment