Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Amazing Rueben Rolls

Another St. Patrick's Day has came and gone but there was no corned beef to be found at my house. Sure, I went out for plenty of corned beef sandwiches and Mike picked up corned beef and cabbage for our St. Patrick's day dinner, but it wasn't the same as home made. So last weekend I went grocery shopping and picked up some ingredients to make us some semi-homemade corned beef for dinner. I opted for the non-traditional route. Instead of a classic Rueben sandwich or slow cooker corned beef and cabbage,  I surprised Mike with some amazing rueben rolls. They're a classic rueben sandwich wrapped up and deep fried in an egg roll wrapper instead of bread. Rueben rolls are surprisingly simple to make and they definitely cook much faster than an all day crock pot roast. It probably only took me a half hour to fourth five minutes to make them, from start to finish. It makes about 21 wraps. They're pretty rich so two or three are plenty per person. Which means this makes 8-10 servings.
All I used was one package Nasoya egg roll wraps, one bag Kraft shredded swiss cheese, six small packages of Buddig corned beef, one can of sauerkraut,  and some Wishbone thousand island dressing for dipping.
First lay one egg roll wrap out on a plate. Then add two or three slices of the Buddig corned beef, followed by a sprinkle of the shredded swiss cheese.  After that add a pinch of Sauerkraut. Make sure to drain the can of kraut first!  Otherwise your rolls may get soggy. Finally, lightly dampen two corner edges of your egg roll wrapper. I forgot to mention you should have a small bowl of water nearby for this. Fold the two opposite corners of the wrapper that you didn't wet, in and roll it up tightly,  like a burrito. I placed two or three rueben rolls in the deep fryer, at a time while I made the next couple.
After the surface of the rolls turned turned a nice shade of crispy,  golden brown, I carefully removed them from the deep fryer and placed them all on a paper towel covered plate to rest until I finish cooking.
They weren't safe there,  however.  It wasn't long until I spied a tiny hand reaching out to steal one of the fresh Rueben rolls. Layla has just recently learned how to climb and pull herself up on things lately and seems to be using her skills mostly to snatch yummy snacks off of the tables and counters. After watching all her efforts to get a rueben roll, I gave her some thousand island dressing to dip it in and she loved it. That's it. They officially have the Layla seal of approval. They are so delicious that I'm sure your loved ones will love them just as much as mine did!

No comments:

Post a Comment